Friday, November 12, 2010

The Shards of Nasril



The Shards of Nasril
-Seth’s Poetry Class

I am
The Rummy champion,
A tree, two dogs
And a cliff.
climber

I miss rocks that were houses,
and the Grandmother Willow tree
I am from fog horn sounds
And snow plows scraping streets through night,
blinking their lights,
A power plant that floats
Over the hill
like the moon

I am
languid liquid
Free flowing till
I freeze
into stark
Rainbow reflection

Where beauty was invented
So Northeast no one
Knows 
but Canadia.

Wicked.

I miss the Angell Ave bungalow
Whose two tar roads
Are yellow with beachy sand,
I am a girl
Who used to sing the Lord’s prayer
To her dolls dying of malaria
And now
Church makes me sick

I miss Imus in the morning
And Bill Nye reruns 
After school

I am from
“We need to put some meat on those bones!”
And wondering how my dad’s thighs are so muscular 
I’ve got some big whitey tighties to fill.
I am
Awkward.
And I miss spaghettio’s.

I am not just a number
I was taught never to look down

I miss sculpting tin foil cubes
From public school lunches.
Wading thigh high 
In black water 
Collecting Indian-soap.

From seaweed,
Ferry rides through sea smoke
Homemade honey and
Fried bread with nutella. 
The farmhouse,
And past due bills

I am from the Ocean
Winking back at me
Knowing always who 
I am.

I miss skinny dipping with my brothers
When the homework was scarce,
Girls had cooties,
And everyone looked the same

We didn’t care

No comments:

Post a Comment